I just wanted to update you all on the proposed-Dunkin’ Donuts (1070 West Beech Street) situation. Stuff I hear through the grapevine….
- No lease or agreement has been signed, but talks are still happening.
- Dunkin’ Donuts appears to be the only potential tenant interested in that location. Which means:
- No banks are currently interested in that location. (See #2).
- No variances are needed for this proposed use. Curbs are already cut for a drive-thru.
- The property (1070 West Beech Street) is zoned for commercial use. (retail, restaurants)
- Despite what some folks think, there are no laws preventing franchises from opening in the West End.
- Real Estate agents cannot discriminate against a potential tenant if their use applies. (see # 5, then see #4)
What will be the impact to the West End if this Dunkin’ Donuts opens?
To make this part easier, I am just going to list some local concerns and how this franchise would apparently deal with them.
- WE WANT ONLY LOCAL OPERATORS: The potential owner lives in the area.
- JOBS: This franchise will create 30 much needed local jobs. They will hire locally.
- THE LOOK OF THE STORE: They would build a quaint looking “town feel” building with a similar facade to the one on 7th Street in Garden City, NY: (Photo Credit: GardenCityPatch)
- THE IMPACT ON OTHER LOCAL BUSINESSES: There are already multiple business competing with each other (bars, pizza, burgers, etc). The potential Dunkin’ Donuts operator already owns two locations nearby
and apparently purchases bagels from Beach Bagel & Deli (1090 West Beech Street) already for their DD stores and will do so in this case as well.
- THE ‘TYPES OF PEOPLE’ Dunkin’ Donuts WOULD ATTRACT: This one kinda makes me laugh… no offense to those who have this concern, but a) what ‘types of people’ are you worried about? and b) I would be more concerned with the ‘types of people’ some of those bars in the West End are attracting. The last time I checked, Dunkin’ Donuts doesn’t attract a bunch of drunk loudmouths who puke and urinate all over the streets and private property.
To sum it up:
Nothing can stop this franchise from opening at that location (1070 W. Beech St). Did you read that? Nothing. Of course, there could be some ramifications if they do: Some folks in the West End are apparently boycotting Jake’s Wayback Burger and would most likely do the same in this case as well. (Do they also boycott C-Town?)
My own personal opinion on what’s going on:
This is when I talk about bullying in our
Oh wait…. Sorry. Wrong topic (I think). I was talking about Dunkin’ Donuts coming to the West End.
Ok, so I’m not the biggest fan of franchises at all. In fact, I hate Dunkin’ Donuts: their coffee makes me sick and as a health conscious-person, I avoid donuts like the plague. Do I want them in the West End? Probably not, because it doesn’t benefit my stomach at all. Even though I feel that way, I do support the fact that we cannot prevent them from opening at that location (1070 W. Beech St) if the law allows them to (and yes, the law allows them to).
RELATED SBC ARTICLES:
- A Few Random Stories (Dunkin’ Donuts on hold, Historical Plaques, King Kullen in Island Park, Flu Shot Alternative)
- Time to make the donuts? Poll results are in + West End Holiday Light Update
- Take the West End Neighbor’s Dunkin’ Donuts Poll
- Rumor: Dunkin’ Donuts coming to the West End? (UPDATED – w/ a drive-thru?)