The search is on to find a replacement for Michael Tangney, who was just recently appointed ‘Acting’ Police Commissioner of the LBPD. At that time, City Manager Jack Schnirman said, ”A search and selection committee shall be appointed consisting of subject area experts. It is my hope and expectation that the search and selection process shall not exceed 60 days.” The City will be accepting resumes through Friday, February 17.
BEHOLD: THE SEARCH AND SELECTION COMMITTEE OF SUBJECT AREA EXPERTS: (and it’s a pretty impressive list)
Dean Lawrence Cunningham
· Associate Dean of St. John’s Law School.
· Served as Assistant District Attorney in the Bronx County District Attorney’s office as a member of the office’s Appeals Bureau.
· Former Professor for three years at Texas Tech University School of Law, where he taught criminal justice-related courses and directed a criminal litigation clinic.
· Published widely in the fields of criminal justice, juvenile justice, animal law, appellate litigation and legal education.
John C. Gallagher
· Served on four previous Police Chief Committees across Long Island.
· Served as the Suffolk County Police Commissioner, 12th largest Police Department in the Nation, for seven years.
· Former Chief Deputy County Executive of Suffolk County
· Deputy Suffolk County Executive for Public Safety
· Board of Directors, Police Reserves of Suffolk County
· Graduate of the FBI National Academy’s Prestigious National Executive Institute.
· Executive Dean, Suffolk County Community College, Grant Campus, Professor of History and Political Science, Suffolk County Community College.
The Honorable Scott Mandel
· Long Beach resident and attorney.
· Member of the Long Beach City Council.
· Member of the Long Beach Auxiliary Police.
· Worked with the US Attorney’s Office Criminal Division and Legal Aid Criminal Defense.
· Clerked in Hudson County Criminal Court.
James E. Mulvaney Jr.
· Former Deputy Commissioner at NYS Division of Human Rights.
· Former member of Governor’s Inspector General Panel reviewing $26 Billion in federal stimulus spending for fraud, waste, abuse and civil rights violations.
· Former Director of Corporate Intelligence at KPMG where he designed a variety of compliance programs for public and private sector clients.
· Long time Long Beach resident, active in education issues and community organizing.
· Masters of Science in Administration of Security and Criminal Justice.
· Former Director of Security at Long Beach Medical Center working extensively with the Long Beach Police Department.
· Former member of the Long Beach Zoning Board for 13 years and Member of the NAACP.
· Long time Long Beach resident serving as former Vice Chair of the MLK Board and formed the Minority Coalition in Long Beach.
Glen L. Spiritis PhD
· Former Deputy & City Manager, City of Long Beach
· Former Commissioner of Community Development, Village of Hempstead
· Former Senior Staff Member, American Planning Association, Washington DC
· Former President of Long Island Community Development Organization
· Former Vice President of New York State Urban Council
· Former School Teacher, Long Beach Public Schools
· Former Adjunct Faculty Member, Adelphi University Graduate School, Suburban Studies
· Former Member Nassau County Traffic Board
· Former Member Nassau County Economic Development Board
· MS & PhD- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Urban & Environmental Science