Avenue Café closing down had me thinking; what food spots in Long Beach do I frequent the most? So, I made a list of my top five. Please keep in mind: I am not saying these are the five best restaurants in Long Beach, they’re just my favorites. I have to be honest, out of all the many restaurants in town, I’ve probably only been to maybe half of them. Perhaps I am missing out on something, so please tell me! What are your top five?
1. Sugo Café (62 W. Park Avenue). I love Sugo. I really do. I probably go here more than any other restaurant in Long Beach. Some folks seem to think their menu is “weird”, but that’s the whole point. Sugo offers quality, variety and great daily specials; plus they change their menu up a lot, so it’s always a new experience eating there. Baby Back Ribs, Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps.. oh my stomach is growling. I love this place.
2. Swingbellys (909 West Beech Street). I am a total carnivore, so for me, Swingbellys is pure heaven. I usually stick with their pork and brisket platters with grilled veggies & corn bread. Yum! Yum! Yum!!! I think most of you agree that Swingbellys is one of the best places to eat in Long Beach. Am I right?
3. Paninis and Bikinis (896 West Beech Street) What’s not to love about this place? When I want to eat healthy, I go to P&B for a salad. Their paninis are the best in town (sorry La Bottega). Being an East Ender, I recently discovered that they serve breakfast! That’s nothing new to you West End folks, but it is for me. Amazing omelets! I just wish they opened a location in the East End too!
4. Duke Falcons (36 West Park Avenue). I am obsessed with one dish at Duke Falcons. It’s sooo good that It bumps this restaurant up to my top five list. It’s funny, because my favorite dish is so simple, but Duke does it soooooo well:
Marinated Skirt Steak
A 14oz. skirt steak, marinated in our own special BBQ sauce, and grilled medium-rare. Served with garlic mashed potatoes, crispy onion whips, and grilled vegetables.
5. Pita Grill (10 W Park Avenue). Yes, what the hell is this place doing on my top five list? I know there are better food places in town, but I go to Pita Grill a lot because I sometimes try to eat healthy. I really like their Sesame Ginger Rice Bowl. Other items like hummus, falafel and babaganoush, what’s not to love?