- Ocean Ride Cycling Studio will sit on top of Tutti Fruiti. (Website, Twitter). Great idea! Now you can eat as much frozen yogurt as you want! Just go upstairs and work it off. Ocean Ride comes to Long Beach with an interesting concept (Long Beach’s first boutique indoor cycling studio, providing a cycling experience using state of the art equipment and energizing) and a kick ass logo that rules every other logo in Long Beach:
- Long Beach Hotel (405 E. Broadway) has an open air bar and I am now hearing that their grand opening is Memorial Day Weekend (that’s like in a week!) But somebody told me the bar is open already. Is it? It looked like it to me earlier today!
- Is Ciao Baby still coming to Long Beach? Ahhh rumors….I now have no idea. First I heard they were taking the former-Tuscan Grill location. Then I was told it was actually Grillfire. But now a reader posts how Grillfire has a hearing notice in the window for a bar called “Bricks by the Beach.” I guess it’s just another brick in the rumor mill-wall…
- The Long Beach Inn (943 W Beech) reopens tonight! Visit them on facebook for more info: facebook.com/TheLongBeachInn
- NYSC (New York Sports Club), from their website:
Attention Members: Club closed temporarily due to flooding. We are working diligently to reopen the club. In the meantime, Long Beach members are granted privileges to use any club, at any time at no additional fee.
The closest clubs are located at 2909 Lincoln Ave, Oceanside and 155 Franklin Place, Woodmere.
We appreciate your patience.
Episode 2: (May 8th) Restaurant / Store Updates [Wurst Edition Ever!]:
- Currywurst will be taking over the former Pita Grill spot @ 10 W Park Ave. Take out your Hungarian party hats because it will be a sausage fest galore: currywurstus.com. I’m actually glad to see something different opening up. We need more variety around here.
- Ciao Baby will be taking over Grillfire (152 West Park Avenue). Yes, it’s still in the rumor category, but it appears to be a done deal. And heck, it’s my blog so I get to write about whatever is on my mind.
- As posted in the April 2013 comments: Pheobe’s boutique is virtually open online and is offering one on one private shopping experience for those that still want Pheobe’s…..Just a call or text to come over and check it out 917-402-4729 or visit www.pheobesboutique.com.
- Also posted in the April 2013 comments: Pinup Clothing is alive, well, loaded with great new clothing & temporarily located in the walks (at the owner’s house) until right timing and location happens (in Long Beach, of course!). Call 516-431-1565 for exact location.
- Jetty Bar & Grill is at the former Bahia Social Club spot. Vist them on facebook or just go to the actual place @ 832 W. Beech Street, Long Beach, NY.
- Swingbellys BBQ is rebuilding.
- It looks like all three Long Beach surf shops are open for business: LB Surf, unsOund &Maritime Surf. Go to all three and spend money.
- In Point Lookout, Skipperdee’s Ice Cream Shop re-opened. You can read all about thathere.
- Is a restaurant and bar coming soon to the Long Beach Hotel By The Sea? One would assume so, but don’t assume or you will make an ass out of u and me (joke credit: Felix Unger). Only time will tell, but alcohol makes money, so I am going to assume yes. Visit longbeachhotelny.com (Thanks Jo for posting that link!).
Episode 1: (April 23rd) Restaurant / Store Updates [April 2013 Edition]:
- Cuban Crocodile (26 E. Park Avenue) closed due to “issues with their landlord.” They did post on their Facebook page: “Taking a little vacation and we will rebuild somewhere else … It’s been a long 6 months.” I wish them luck and hope to see them back in LB soon.
- The Bungalow (669 E. Park Avenue), which is a great little place in the east end, is opening up Bungalow West at the former-Jake’s Wayback Burger location (945 W. Beech Street). The Bungalow has great burgers (better than Jake’s), a juice bar and I just heard they serve great breakfast sandwiches.
- 7-11 is coming to the West End. You are all against this, but will unwillingly support it. They are taking over the former Bally Bannon spot (969 W. Beech Street).
- Muscle Maker Grill, whose website says they serve Great food with your health in mind, is coming to Park Avenue. Look for a grand opening this May (www.musclemakergrill.com).
- The waffles at Gentle Brew Coffee kicks some serious ass. Seriously.
- It looks like work resumed at NYSC (265 E. Park Avenue). Will it reopen as a NYSC? They still list Long Beach as a location on their website: mysportsclubs.com/clubsched/nyscclubs.htm.
- Still no word on Long Beach Cinemas.
- Karma’s Angel is taking over the old Sweets For Shore spot.
- The seasonal, bi-weekly Farmer’s Market starts May 1st. Arts in the Plaza will soon follow.
- M’s Family Restaurant (4160 Austin Blvd) in Island Park finally has a real sign. Well, that’s a good sign!
- Walmart Supercenter IS NOT coming to the super block, but Peter Luger is.
- Do not believe any Long Beach rumor that involves Peter Luger.
- And the newest business in town is FOOT SPA, for all your foot spa needs. You can spot their giant red sign from a mile away.