Dear Friend of Long Beach Recreation,
Our staff has compiled a list of things all of us can enjoy, and at little or no cost. Please feel free to share this list with all your friends…
The last week of school has come and gone and summer is finally here! The first few days are always the best, sleeping in, staying up late, checking out books at the library or shopping at your favorite local stores. But then, you hear the dreaded words, “I’m bored.” What will you do with the kids when you’re on a budget? You can get the kids away from the high tech toys and out in the sunshine right here in Long Beach! Check out the summer of 2013 on a budget!
1. Beach Life: A $60 Family Season Beach Pass covers the cost of two adults and all children in the household under 18, so you can spend every day on the beach from June 22 through Labor Day. That’s less than $0.83 a day per family! Family season beach passes will be on sale every day from 9am until 4pm, at the Beach Park Summer Office, 300 West Broadway on the corner of Laurelton and Broadway starting on Saturday, June 22. Passes will be available at the Gazebo by the Ice Arena until 8:30pm Friday June 21. After Friday, the Gazebo will no longer sell Beach Passes.
2. Playgrounds: Playgrounds are open daily and are located at Clark Street* on the Bay, Pacific Blvd and Shore Road, Leroy Conyers* at Park Place and East Hudson Street, Magnolia Boulevard on the Beach (coming soon), Bayfront Park at the Recreation Center, and Georgia Avenue Park*. Those marked with asterisks have splash parks.
3. Summer Races: The 9th Annual Sean Ryan Memorial 5K, and Children’s 1K Fun Run, takes place Saturday, June 22. The 1K Children’s run begins at 8am, and the 5K race is at 8:30am. Registration is $20 ($5 for kids) and includes a tank top for all registrants! Trophies will be awarded in all age groups. Both events start and finish at the Rec. Upcoming races include the Waterfront Warrior 5K Race on July 21st, the Larry Elovich 5K Race on August 3rd and Robert C. McAvoy 5 Mile Run on September 3rd.
4. Summer Playground Camp: (Kindergarten – 12 years old; Counselor in Training spots for children ages 13 – 15 are available at a reduced rate). Camp is from 9am to 1pm every weekday from June 24th to August 16th, that’s 39 days of camp, for $450, $11.54 per day! Camp is located at the Middle School and includes bus transportation to and from camp to drop points located at West School, Lindell School, the Recreation Center, and Bishop Molloy Hall in Point Lookout. Daily activities rotate and include basketball, arts & crafts, soccer, relay races, and Gaga! There are optional trips at a moderate cost to places like Adventureland, Splish Splash, Bowling, Yankee Stadium, Long Island Laser Bounce, Earth Arts, the beach, the Long Island Skating Museum, and ice skating at the Long Beach Ice Arena. Campers will have the opportunity to take Red Cross swim lessons starting Wednesday, June 26th. They will be bussed to the Long Beach High School pool, where qualified instructors will test them and place them in appropriate groups for instruction.
5. Sports Camp: Sports camp is open the same days as the playground camp, and is also located at the Long Beach Middle School. The cost is $450 per child from 1pm to 5pm for children entering second grade through 12 years. It offers the same transportation choices, plus trips to the same venues as the morning camp. The theme here is sports: basketball, baseball, deck hockey, soccer, lacrosse, Gaga, and more!
6. Baseball Every Day: Calling all baseball fans! Ages 7 to 9 play every day from 9:30am to 10:45am, and ages 10 thru 12 play every day from 11am until 12:15pm. The cost is $80, and includes uniform shirt and hat. This year the 7, 8, & 9 year olds will have coach pitch!
7. Summer Basketball: Boys and girls ages 7 to 12 can play in the summer basketball league, Tuesday and Thursdaynights from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the Rec. The league runs for 8 weeks starting the second week of July, and costs $50 which includes uniform shirts.
8. Summer Volleyball: Boys and girls, ages 10 to 12 play on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and boys and girls ages 13 to 15 on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 4pm to 5:30pm, at Riverside Boulevard on the Beach! The 8 week program is $50.
9. Earth Arts: Boys and girls in grades K-8 meet at Earth Arts, 162 West Park Ave, once a week (Tuesday, Wednesdayor Thursday) from 4:30pm to 5:30pm (K to 3rd) or from 5:30 to 6:30 (4th to 8th). Activities include painting, pottery, clay, drawing and crafts! $75 for eight weeks. (Sign up is at Rec).
10. Roller Hockey: Roller hockey is back for children ages 7-9 or 10-12. Children meet Monday and Wednesdayevenings, from 6:30pm to 8:30 pm at the Rec! Cost for Long Beach School District children is $50 (non-resident children can participate for $75).
11. Ice Skate: Ages 4 to Adult can take skating lessons at the Long Beach Ice Arena on Saturdays or Sundays at12:15pm, or Mondays or Fridays at 4:00pm. The cost is $120 for 6 weeks. Visit longbeachny.gov/icearena for more information about skating and hockey.
12. Wednesday Night Summer Ice Hockey: House League, Ages 5-10 (5:20pm to 6:20pm) or Ages 11-14 (6:20pm to 7:20pm). The cost is $175 is taking place now through August 14. Visit longbeachny.gov/icearena for more information about skating and hockey.
13. KWickFit Bootcamp: Fitness instructor, Katy Wick, will whip you into shape every Saturday and Sunday by the Gazebo in Veteran’s Park at 8am. $99 includes every weekend day through the end of August! If there is inclement weather, the group will meet in the Ice Arena.
14. Adult Yoga: Instructor, Stephanie Durso, meets Sundays at the Gazebo at 8:45am through August 4! (No class onSunday June 23). The cost is $50.
15. Summer Concert Series: Free Concerts on the Beach beginning at 8pm. Bring dinner from your favorite Long Beach Restaurant and relax on the beach! Concerts begin on Monday, July 1st and take place every Monday (Edwards Boulevard), Wednesday (New York Avenue), and Thursday (Neptune Boulevard) through August 30th.
16. *NEW* Sunset Celebration At The Rec: Every Friday night at 8pm in the Recreation Center parking lot startingJuly 5, 2013, there will be mini-concerts, outdoor movies, food and more!
17. *NEW* Teen Night Saturdays, at the Rec: Beginning Saturday, June 29th, at 6pm, the Recreation Center will play host to our teens, ages 13 to 17! Activities include basketball, kickball, dodgeball, music, and more, all in a supervised environment. On nights with inclement weather, a movie will be shown upstairs in the Ice Arena.
18. Farmers Market: Every Wednesday from 10am to 6pm, and Saturday from 9am to 4pm in Kennedy Plaza.
19. Arts in the Plaza: Local artists, music and arts and crafts take place every Saturday from 10am-4pm in Kennedy Plaza.