It has come to my attention how some think SBTC has been contacted by the city to not write about the firefighter layoffs (Long Beach Herald: Happy holidays — you’re laid off!). That is not the case whatsoever. I’ve been avoiding this topic because I honestly don’t know much about it. Yes, I understand the importance of having firefighters and I hate hearing about layoffs, but most of the comments that I read are made from emotions.
Also, when it comes to tax-paying jobs, I am very mixed on how to react. I see so many people in my life being priced out of Long Island because of all these salaries (firefighter, police, government & school salaries). The taxes are just too damn high! So with that, I am just not sure how to feel.
What that, I ask you:
- How many firefighters do we have?
- How many firefighters do we need?
- How does it compare to similar communities?
- What are the salaries? Overtime?
- Being that they were being paid by a federal grant, how would keeping these jobs effect me since the grant is over?
If you can convince me either way (pros vs cons of these layoffs), please write in the comments.