Hosted by the League of Women Voters of Long Beach, NY, the candidates forum is tonight. 7:30pm @ The Long Beach Public Library.
What are your election issues? I’ll start a list:
- Transparency and disclosure on contracts. This should be number one. Haven’t we learned anything from the Dean Skelos situation?
- Somebody is going to say hospital.
- Somebody else is going to say LBPD.
- I say trees.
- oh and beautification.
- Which brings me to Garbage. We need stricter citations, despite what a recent Newsday articles says. Although, I will say it’s nice seeing the flower beds getting weeded and the curbs being cleaned.
- The taxes trope, which is a staple at election time
- Parking? You all have something to say about that one.
- Traffic? I don’t see any, maybe that terribly timed light between Blackheath and Maple Blvd on Park Avenue.
- How about improving our downtowns? More restaurants are closing. One has a ‘temp closed’ sign on their window already. Many others are for sale on Loopnet.
- Along with the comment above, I believe we need a business association that can help attract new businesses and jobs, plus rally the existing businesses under a BID.
- Accessibility. Ramps, making sure sidewalks are clear, paths on beach, etc.
- Road safety for all, no matter what mode of transportation you take. (I loooooooove complete streets)
- Protection from future storms?
- A new Master Plan that includes an updated zoning map.
- (added) iStar & IDA (how can I forget??)
- (added) Overdevelopment (I like smart development, but that’s just me)
- (added) I like what our city is doing with the Comprehensive Plan. I wonder if there is a commitment to follow through if there is a regime change, or will it all go away,
I’m sure something major and obvious is missing. What say you all? Please share your opinions in the comments.