Long Beach in the News, Et cetera:
- “Long Beach rescuers pull swimmers to safety” [LB HERLAD]
- “Long Beach Under ‘Moderate’ Fiscal Stress, Comptroller Says” [LB PATCH]
- “Long Beach payroll topped by retirees, police data show”[NEWSDAY]
- “Long Beach OKs Clean Pass parking discount” [NEWSDAY]
- This article is 8 days old, but it’s a good update on our #yearofthegroins. “Army Corps completes 8 jetties in $230M Long Beach dune project” [NEWSDAY]
- I have to admit, I am not the biggest buffet fan, unless it’s breakfast with endless bacon. Anybody try this place yet? “Asian fusion buffet DuMont’s opens in Long Beach” [NEWSDAY]
- Consolidation plan to apparently save Nassau taxpayers $130Million. Any chance we can do this with our school districts next? I’m sure there are so many expenses they can share. “County consolidation plan approved” [LB HERALD]
- Sutton Place is closing, but according to Project 11561: “The owners are renovating and refreshing the restaurant. They will have a new look, new menu, and a new name. We look forward to seeing what changes they make. ”
- Meet Leah Rosensweig-Tozer, Republican Candidate for City Council [LINK]
- Meet Joseph Naham, Green Party Candidate for City Council [LINK]
- Meet John Bendo, Democratic Candidate for City Council [LINK]
- Meet Christopher Jones, Republican Candidate for City Council [LINK]
- Four out of eight candidates so far. 50% isn’t bad. Still waiting for Allison Blanchette, William Haas, Scott Mandel & Chumi Diamond.
- This photo comes from Richard, who claims these are new garbage pails in our downtown. Photo taken near the former Chase bank on Park Avenue.
- Another resident send this in: “Hey Anthony. Whats the deal with the old citibank location. Looks like S*** with a all that brown damaged paper. Can you put a little light on that property with your blog ?” Here you go! It looks terrible. Anybody with any info?
- Speaking of our downtown, here is another one from Richard, who adds: “This was in Newsday. Shame on our city hall for not doing their job.” Read the opinion on Smithtown main street below:
Long Beach Events:
(I know I’m missing a lot. Please contact me)
- Kennedy Plaza Farmers Market (Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9am-2pm at Kennedy Plaza. Click here for more info.)
- Arts in the Plaza (Saturdays, 10am to 4pm at Kennedy Plaza. Click here for more info.)
- This month is about to end.
- Starting October 6th: LBNY-Arts is pleased to announce the debut of First Fridays + -a cultural happy hour celebrating music, art, dance, food and the performing arts. In honor of Hispanic Heritage month, we will host the MTA Music Underground Flamenco and South American Rhumba guitar duo, Gimagua. Join us for Latin music, dance, cuisine and visual art presentations by local artists. Call 516-705-7218 for more information. [INFO]
- Ocean Frontiers 3 -Long Beach Screening, hosted by All Our Energy. October 19th, 6:30pm at the Long Beach Library [INFO]
- Irish Day Parade. It starts at Washington Boulevard and West Beech Street at 11am, Saturday, October 7th.
- Fall Festival. October 14th and 15th. Kennedy Plaza.