Helping other communities has been so rewarding and the people in our community have encouraged me to get more involved with our struggling community. So I decided to run for City Council.
Tell us more about why you are running for City Council.
I’M TIM KRAMER, I’M A DEMOCRAT and I’M RUNNING FOR CITY COUNCIL BECAUSE I’VE HAD ENOUGH!
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH of HIGH TAXES WITH NO END IN SIGHT PEOPLE ARE MOVING BECAUSE THEY CAN’T AFFORD TO LIVE HERE!
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF BROWN WATER COMING OUT OF OUR FAUCETS AND BATHTUB WHERE I BATHE MY CHILDREN AND THEN BEING TOLD THAT WATER IS DRINKABLE.
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF NEEDLESS OVERTIME – OVER EMPLOYMENT – OVER-DEVELOPMENT – OVER SPENDING , TAX ABATEMENTS – AND BONDS BONDS BONDS!
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF POOR ROAD CONDITIONS AND MISSING BIKE LANES.
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF THE FILTHY, UNSAFE TRAIN STATION WITH POOR LIGHTING – THIS IS THE GATEWAY INTO OUR COMMUNITY!
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF NOT BEING ABLE TO MOVE MY CAR IN THE SUMMER AND THE CITY NOT LOOKING INTO PAID PARKING FOR NON-RESIDENTS.
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF DEMOCRATIC FACTIONS – THEY DON’T SERVE THE PEOPLE. THESE ARE NOTHING MORE THAN POLITICAL COMMITTEES STARVING FOR POWER.
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF PEOPLE WAITING IN THE WINGS FOR PAYBACK, JOBS AND VARIOUS CONTRACTS THE RESIDENTS DON’T SEE ANY ECONOMIC BENEFIT FROM THIS. NOT TO MENTION THE NEPOTISM! There are 2 reasons to get a job:
- YOU ARE QUALIFIED (The most qualified)
- IT FILLS A NEED.
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF OUR CITY COUNCIL NOT DOING THEIR JOBS and NOT REPRESENTING THE RESIDENTS WHOLEHEARTEDLY.
- I’VE HAD ENOUGH OF WATCHING THIS CITY I LOVE FALL APART AND FEELING HELPLESS TO SAVE IT.
For all the reasons above and many more, I want to be the voice of Change in the City of Long Beach.
How would you address the many current issues our city is facing, such as the Rising Cost of Living, Crumbling Infrastructure, City Hall Transparency, Storm Protection, etc. ?
These are complicated issues and I have a lot of ideas to potentially address them. None of this can take place until we hire an experienced City Manager and Comptroller but to dive in a little:
PAID PARKING SOLUTIONS would be a wonderful way to bring in additional revenue to help offset the cost of living and help afford some of the infrastructure projects. The residents have been secondary long enough. Every beach community that offers what we have charges for parking.
- Residents should be issued resident stickers and should NEVER pay for parking.
- Visitors should have to pay for parking in residential areas and beachside during peak months.
- This would bring in millions in revenue to help rebuild our infrastructure!
- Park Mobile app. No cost to the city accept to create signage.
- Large cities like Dallas and Amarillo with huge populations already use this app successfully!
- Part of the app Pro version is to find a spot. This will reduce the carbon footprint by reducing the amount of time spent looking for a spot.
- Park Mobile also offers different zones for different times and can be customized to the City’s needs. I have no idea why this has not been a consideration thus far.
CRUMBLING INFRASTRUCTURE. Long Beach is very reactionary. We need to be pro-active and have more foresight in many facets that effect our infrastructure. It’s much more expensive to replace a broken pipe or address and emergency than work on our infrastructure as an ongoing project.
In addition we should stop taxing our infrastructure with over development. If I were elected I would demand enforcement of our existing Zoning laws.
OVERDEVELOPMENT. There is no denying our city will be a taller town following Hurricane Sandy. But we have a zoning board with existing laws. I would demand that we follow the existing laws more closely. The laws were created in the best interests of the residents and builders should not be receiving variances to circumvent the laws. A variance should be given for special circumstances and not as routine process to bypass the laws.
TRANSPARENCY. It’s interesting how this word gets tossed around! First of all I would like to state that I am NOT a politician and my political aspirations will start and stop at the doorstep of City Hall. I am simply an upstanding resident who has the ability to lead and bring people together in order to improve our quality of life in Long Beach.
When I started talking to people in the community about running for City Council, over and over I heard that politics was dirty and thankless so internally I prepared myself for this and expected a certain amount of push back.
So during this short campaign I have received disparaging remarks about my character and intelligence. I’ve had my political signs stolen off personal property, car magnets stolen in broad daylight and someone went as far as hitting my brand new truck with a bat. Sadly it doesn’t stop there!
On Facebook there is a coward who hides behind his keyboard running an anonymous page. HIS PROFILE PICTURE IS THE LOGO OF THE NEW WAVE DEMS. He is a donor, committee member and staunch supporter of the New Wave Dems Campaign.
This individual has written slander and lies about my character, business, my affiliations and my intentions. This is all to be expected when you have a “win at all costs” attitude.
However, it is wildly beyond politics when this secret writer attacks my wife who has received countless awards for her charitable contributions and community service in this city. He has spewed absolute lies on this page about her and the business she built from the ground up and serviced this community with pride and admiration for the past 15 years. As a result, long standing accounts she worked tirelessly to acquire and nurture have been put in jeopardy.
This social media bullying has now reached and impacted my family financially. Now he is taking food off my table which effects my two boys who were born, raised and attend our Long Beach Public Schools. It sickens me to think why anyone would want to tear down an upstanding, devoted family in this community in the name of sabotaging my campaign to help the Long Beach Community.
To add insult to injury, The New Wave Dems have chosen to do nothing to condemn this behavior.
The New Wave Dems continue to allow this page to use their logo as his profile picture! In fact, they have encouraged readership of these horrific posts by liking and sharing and having their friends and family do the same.
By not condemning this rhetoric they are condoning it. Now these Candidates are asking to be pillars and leaders of our community.
We have to ask ourselves is this the type of transparency Long Beach is searching for? Allowing someone to speak on their behalf on an anonymous facebook page while they sit back and look like angels of civility. Shame on each and every one of them for not standing up for what’s right. We are residents! They need to have our best interests in the forefront of every decision they make or choose to do nothing about.
I can tell you unequivocally that if the situation were reversed and someone was using MY LOGO to destroy a good family or anyone else in our community by spreading lies and slander I WOULD PUT A STOP TO IT IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT A LEADER WOULD DO! I vow to protect all Long Beach Residents, not just a select few.
Our city faces a continuing structural deficit. We spend more than we take in year after year. There are only a few ways to cut spending and raise income.
As I mentioned at the forum, We need to do more with less. We need to stop hiring outside contractors and companies and more productively utilize our very competent CSEA employees. If they need additional training and equipment, that’s where our money should be spent. Using in house employees would be a great way to cut spending and facilitate good relationship with our union workers family.
I also mentioned above that non-resident parking would draw in a small fortune of revenue for the city.
What exactly do you propose to do to accomplish what is the single greatest challenge, to balance the books and achieve financial stability?
Hire a Competent, Experienced City Manager.
- Best case scenario is we find a highly qualified person who already lives here and has a handle on the general climate of Long Beach. Ed Eaton Helped transform the City this way by addressing broken down buildings and general beautification.
- Alfonse D’amato use to be known as pothole AL – He’d see a pothole, call it in and then check afterwards to inspect the quality of the work. This might sound like a small issue but when someone lives here they notice things a visitor may overlook.
- Another scenario to consider is a person who is highly qualified but lives in a surrounding area and is willing to move here.
- Another scenario is a genius like Michael Bloomberg calls and says he doesn’t want to live here but will elevate this city. All scenarios need consideration.
Fill the City Comptroller position.
- Right now the City Manager Chooses the City Comptroller.
- We need to change the way the Comptroller is hired.
- The comptroller should be hired by the City Council just the same as the City Manager is. And the Comptroller should be accountable to the City Council.
- We need an independent Comptroller to be a fiscal watchdog. They should have oversight of Spending, overtime and waste. The Comptroller should work WITH the City Mgr. to make fiscally sound decisions for Long Beach.
- Cuomo didn’t hire DiNapoli!
- Budgeting Director: Beneath the comptroller there should be someone who specializes in budgeting, working with the City’s Checking and Savings that reports directly to the City Council to let them know if we are on pace. They should also see and report the vision forward.
My final word on this issue is that budgeting should be a year round work in progress. The checking and savings accounts should be visible/available to the public on a monthly basis. There should be no surprises in budget season
- We have already made great strides towards environmental vibrancy. Long beach lead the way with the plastic bag issue.
- Long Beach has lead the way with The balloon release ban, the plastic bag reform and we are addressing the plastic straw issue. These are great things.
- We could go further and ban the plastic bags from our City all together.
- We can work also on our Bike lanes. NYC, Brooklyn and some of the most congested places in the world have taken strides towards creating bike lanes.
- We should consider cutting Park Ave. into two lanes on each side and adding the bike lane closest to the side walk. This way cyclists would feel welcome on Park Ave.
- More people would ride their bikes to the commerce and the roads would be less congested.
- The businesses would not lose parking in front of their establishments because it would still be there but bumped out a few feet.
- Long Beach needs to be a bike friendly community. Look at the Ocean Pkwy bike lanes. We should try to create a safe cyclist hub to both Island Park and Point Lookout.
- Art painted bike lanes on Broadway that Allison Blanchette (Long Island Streets) posted on FB about would force drivers to respect the Broadway bike lanes and take the turns slower.
- Visible bike lanes and CROSSWALKS ON THE BOARDWALK. All people have to walk over to get to the beach… We need some mutual respect on the boardwalk. Bikers should slow in cross walks.
- Bikers should have a speed limit during prime times.
TRANSPORTATION CHALLENGES –
BUS Transportation. We need better bus schedules and easier use using mobile apps like “My Stop Mobile”. With this kind of app GPS enabled buses would be able to be tracked in real time. This way users will know exactly when the bus is coming. Colleges are already using this technology and we should look into it. We should also have a transit map. People who want to go somewhere should be able to look at this and know how to get there.
TROLLEY– Five stops that are well published – ALSO ON GPS
- Train Station
- East End
- West End
What would you say are the most important challenges that our city must address that are presently being ignored?
BETTER RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND THE BUSINESSES:
- The City of Long Beach should be helping the businesses grow and flourish.
- The businesses should have a voice in our community.
- These businesses sponsor our Little Leagues and every school event.
- Most of the businesses here are locally owned.
- Let them have a voice!
- Have meeting with the Chamber leaders so you can hear their voices.
- The city should make every effort to promote them!
- This makes for a vibrant well rounded community.
Here is an example of how we can facilitate relationships within the community:
- I’d like to see the MTA work more closely with the City of Long Beach. The bus lines should be tied in the train schedule so more people can take the train.
- I live on Broadway and Lincoln. My wife commutes and I drive her even though we have a bus stop right across the street from our house. We don’t know where it goes and what the schedule is like but if there was a schedule and easy to read its destination she may take it to the train.
- The train station is the gateway into our community. There should be a beautiful mural painted by local artists so when you get off the train it’s very welcoming to the visitors. There might even be a cartoon/commerce map of the businesses and their actual locations. There should be a Qr so smartphone users can gain access on their phones to the various locations.
- People have to walk past those parked cars and taxi stand to get to the station. I’d like to see that area be open expansive space for pedestrians to enjoy. Get rid of the Taxi Stand. They do not pay fair market value and store their cars there. Put the Taxi’s along Rev. JJ Evans Blvd. and on the closed street by the buses.
- It would be nice to have a Chamber of Commerce tourism/visitor center there instead.
- Ambassadors handing out pamphlets and sharing information about the events happening in the city.
- Businesses can run specials.
- Sunset fair at the bay, Arts in the Plaza, Farmers Market, Home fair etc.
- Bike rental station right at train station so people can travel the city.
- These visitors are from the City and are very travel savvy. We need to provide to them the latest technology that they are accustomed to using.
- People getting off the train don’t even know about the Trendy West End.
- Better lighting to deter loitering.
- Free parking in the train station so people can rent bikes to peruse the city.
- All of this will facilitate better relationships between the Art communities, the Chamber of Commerce and the Local Businesses!!!
BETTER RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR OTHER ELECTED OFFICIALS:
- Our City does not work well with others.
- We should welcome everybody and embrace the fact that we have county and state officials at our fingertips instead of arching our backs when they come up to the podium to speak during City Council meetings.
- THESE OFFICIALS HAVE DIRECT ACCESS TO COUNTY AND STATE FUNDING!
- Stop attacking Denise Ford! She lives in Long Beach, is our Nassau County Legislator and is always on the right side of situations. I’ve been watching her fight for our community for years! Denise works hard towards SLOWING DOWN OUR STREETS and helping our city become environmentally friendly, There is so much more we can do together. She lives here in Long Beach and has a strong connection to the residents.
- I’d like to see the City Council to stop looking at Missy Miller (NY State Assemblywoman) as a Republican and start looking at her as a liaison to state funding. She is an elected official who lives locally and she wants to be more involved with this community, but gets discouraged when she is not invited to any events or happenings around town. She has wonderful intentions, great contributions and direct access to State funding and can be a great advocate for our community.
- Kathleen Rice (NY Congresswoman) campaigned hard in Long Beach. She knows we are struggling financially and might be willing to advocate for Long Beach if she can be confident the money will be spent properly.
- Todd Kaminsky (NY Senate) lives here, has been a great advocate for the hospital or Medical Center and is part of the fabric of our community. We should be seeking council from the officials instead of treating them like invaders.
- Maybe this is all because historically our elected city council members use their positions a stepping stones for higher office. They might not want to look for council from the very same people who they seek to steal their possible-future jobs from.
- Their contract expired in 2015. They are in the middle of labor arbitration. I’d like to see them get a good contract so we can prepare for it in the budget. No more kick the can.
- We want our officers to have long term stability.
- Weall know the police make a lot of $ here and I’m not looking to take that away, but perhaps there could be ways to work a little more.
- Officers work 10 hr shifts 4 on 4 off. They work 180 days a year. PLUS they get 5 weeks vacation. 60 days a year.
- So if they take a vacation they are off for 12 days, five times year.
- Plus sick days, Plus Holidays
- We need some creative negotiating! Perhaps only three weeks vacation.
- Come in and work more often.
- Commissioner Tangney has done a nice job, but I would like to see a New Police Commissioner hired to provide a fresh perspective to the community.
Auxiliary Officers/ Special officers Relationships:
- They are the eyes and ears of our police department and serve great purpose for our residents in Long Beach.
- We need to be smarter about their work shifts.
- I see them out on the boardwalk on a Tuesday at 10:00 am. This serves little purpose. They are really needed on the boardwalk from 4pm-12:00am peak season during hours when there is a potential for misconduct on the boardwalk.
- There should be plenty of them on the boardwalk and they should be easily identified in the center of town wearing bright colors that read POLICE.
- They should be telling people there are no lifeguards on duty, keeping people off the Jetty’s and being the eyes and ears for the police. This will create a police presence without having to enlarge our Police force.
Fire Departments – Relationships:
- They have no existing Contract. Again, I’d like to see a contract negotiated so we can prepare for it in the budget.
- Stop the abusive overtime.
- We should continue with the paid Pro FF and Paramedics.
- I would like to see better communication between the Pro FF’s and the Volunteer Fire Dept. It should be recognized as a cohesive unit with mutual respect. It’s a known fact that they are at odds with each other and our community deserves better.
- These people go into burning buildings together. Who cares who is paid or volunteer when you’re out there saving lives.
Any closing remarks for potential voters?
I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to share the fact that I have a keen ability to identify the issues and a strong willingness to implement CHANGE.
REAL CHANGE. CHANGE THAT WILL HAVE A LASTING IMPACT ON THE FUTURE AND THE SUCCESS OF OUR CITY.
MAKE NO MISTAKE LONG BEACH, THE POLITICAL FACTIONS ARE ALIVE, WELL AND WORKING LIKE FINE OILED MACHINES.
If you vote for either of these collective TEAMS you will have missed an opportunity to change the direction of this City.
It was a long, hard road to even get this far. The process does not embrace a singular candidate like myself and this is the beginning of a challenging road to implement the kinds of changes THE LONG BEACH RESIDENTS are crying out for.
I’m committed to putting an end to these powerful self-serving groups. This will restore government as it was intended to be. Ultimate control of this community should be in the hands of the residents.
I understand that ONE SINGULAR person can’t do it alone. But I realize that it HAS TO START WITH ONE. That’s me! TIM KRAMER.
I ask that you vote for me FIRST and then choose two additional candidates that you feel will best represent you and our community!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION —- TIM KRAMER2019
Learn more about Tim at facebook.com/TimKramer2019/
Reminder: The Long Beach Democratic Primary Election is on June 25th.
Hey, do you like this blog? Please consider supporting it for more content like this! www.seabythecity.com/support-the-blog/