Newsday – Long Beach merchants plan to go on after fire
I really feel bad for the store owners and what they have to go through to get back on track. I’ve dealt with stores going on fire with my own business and it’s not easy – fire adjusters, insurance adjusters, recouping what you have lost .. ah it’s just a mess…
Please see my previous post for more photos of the damage.
The parade starts at 9:30AM on the corner of Ohio Avenue and West Beech Street and ends at City Hall. More info can be found at the City of long Beach website.
I’ve bee out of town for a bit so here are a few things that happened while I was away.
- The City of Long Beach approved the purchase of a GILLIG TROLLEY BUS. That’ll be a fun thing to see around town- plus it looks a lot safer than a Pedi-cab.
- Speaking of Pedi-cabs – they’re in business. last night while coming home from the airport, my Beech Street Taxi cabbie complained about the “dangerous Pedi-cabs” hogging the streets over in the west end. I personally have no opinion of them yet and I wasn’t sure if his opinion was just a cab driver complaining about competition. The city is testing them out and can cancel the service whenever they want. Like everything else – time will tell. I am obviously not going to have a pedi-cab take me to JFK so don’t worry about competition Mr. Cabbie.
- Speaking of my cabbie – he also told me that a giant brawl happened on the beach Friday between a few local high schools. He said it wasn’t enough to make the news. The only bit of info I was able to find online was from this topix forum. Local cab drivers are great for information. I should just hail a cab whenever I need a news story.
- Speaking of news stories, I am sure most of you read this Newsday piece on the couple that ran a nightclub in their basement. Yeah, I am sure it’s not quite zoned for that.
Sunday update: I walked down to the beach today and didn’t see much of anything. You are better off going to Jones.
Hey Long Beach,
This Saturday & Sunday between 10am and 3pm, walk down to the beach and look to your left. You might see some metal birds flying around.
This is actually sort of old news. I thought it was funny so I wanted to post it. Nassau County is trying to win young adults back and it’s doing so by trying to establish “cool” downtowns. What is a cool downtown and why does it matter? Well, according to Nassau County’s Cool Downtowns Conference:
- Foster ideas, culture and education to attract young people and empty nesters
- People living near the train station
- Residents living and working in multi-story buildings
- Walking distance to fantastic restaurants and small shops
The study found Long Beach being all of the above! Pretty groovy, right? Mint!
As for the other potential cool downtowns. How can you be cool like Long Beach? Well I can’t offer any help. I thought the Fonz was cool, but he proved us wrong after he jumped the shark. Maybe Poochie from the Simpsons can help. Just don’t try so hard.
learn more about Cool Downtowns and what Nassau is trying to do to bring the young adults back from Nassau’s website.
The air compressor over at Lafayette Blvd on the boardwalk has been broken for a while. I hope it gets fixed soon! It came in handy a few times for me last summer.