There is some discussion going on in my post (see- Some advice for the Quiksilver Pro Merch Team) regarding the Quiksilver Merch Tent and local business. I just want to make a few points that would probably get lost in the comments section. If anybody wants to write a counter-point, I’ll be more than happy to post it in it’s own thread.
A few thoughts regarding the Quiksilver Pro & Local Business:
I try to support local businesses as much as I can. I know it may seem unfair how Quiksilver rolls into town with their 20% resident discount tent, while all of our local business are left out in the cold, but let’s look at a few facts:
- Quiksilver is bringing us a FREE event with the best surfers in the world. They need to make a few bucks by selling us merchandise, or they won’t bother in the first place. Besides, We saw Kelly Slater surf Long Beach and we weren’t forced to buy a t-shirt to do it: THE EVENT WAS FREE.
- As far as Local Business are concerned: You need to look at the long term effect. The Marketing angle…..
I just came back from LB Surf (70 w Park Ave) and the folks over there were telling me how happy they were, how they’re going to benefit beyond the event and how they hope and feel Quiksilver Pro comes back next year.
A few more facts:
- Long Beach, NY is now regarded as a surf city – not just nationally, but internationally.
- Long Beach, NY has and will be mentioned in every major surf publication (online, magazines) for the next few months – at least.
- Long Beach, NY is a train ride away from a city that everybody in the world wants to visit: New York City. How many surfers around the world are now going to make that trip to the Big Apple and take a pit stop to the town that hosted the 2011 Quiksilver Pro New York? Lots.
- How many of these folks are going to spend money in our stores? Renting surf boards at out shops? Eating at our restaurants? Lots.
You need to look at the long term effect of the Quiksilver pro and not just the event itself. Heck, it doesn’t matter if The City of Long Beach lost money the past few weeks because it’s an investment for our future. It’s all about Marketing and you learn that in Business 101. LONG TERM EFFECT. Sometimes you have to sacrifice in order to make a gain.
Now, did Quiksilver loss money with this event? Maybe they did. I do know one thing, after this week I learned how I love Quiksilver apparel and plan wearing there stuf from now on. It’s all about Marketing and you learn that in Business 101. LONG TERM EFFECT. Sometimes you have to sacrifice in order to make a gain.
“Surf City, Here We Come” – The Ramones
I got this email from Igor, of Montreal. It’s pretty cool to hear from folks from around the world. Igor seems like he enjoyed his trip and is now back in Montreal telling his friends and family about Long Beach, NY:
Message: hey buddy,
this is Igor from Montreal. Thank you guys for
accomodating us turists. To my eyes the event was a total success. What a
treat to be able to see these guys live!!
Got To Surf this morning with Balaram. The agdauskas brothera,Cory Lope, Chuy
Reyna, Sterlijg Spencer…