Public Works Commissioner Jim LaCarrubba gave us updates on part 1 of the Phase II: Boardwalk Reconstruction. He said that the funding is from public assistant grant money which will be reimbursed by FEMA. Feedback for the bathrooms & other amenities came from the public focus group sessions that were conducted by Sustainable LI last summer (read: BOARDWALK PHASE II MEETING – MY EXPERIENCE). Here are the results that the city presented to us last October: BOARDWALK PHASE II COMMUNITY PARTICIPATION RESULTS
Five bathrooms. Three types of bathroom buildings will be constructed on the boardwalk:
- Type 1 @ Lincoln blvd. Can be used with concession space, bathroom, outdoor shower on building. Will have benches & hanger to change clothes.
- Type 2 @ Riverside, Edwards, Grand . Will be slightly bigger than type 1. It will be set back 15 feet off boardwalk, with shade, tables, concession areas.
- Type 3 @National blvd – the center of town. It will have the usual bathrooms, etc. Will house a police booth on boardwalk plus there will be additional space which can be used for recreation, etc.
No showers indoors. Hopefully three will be done quickly. There will be temporary bathrooms in the meantime on the beach. Constructing buildings on the beach isn’t an option anymore, especially with the Army Corp project coming possibly next fall. FEMA doesn’t want bathrooms on the beach.
Other things happening:
- There will also be four more bump outs when funding comes in. Locations are at Lindell, Laurelton, Monroe and Franklin. These will provide additional shade and seating.
- Bike rentals are still coming…. no more info on that for now.
Fitness stations are being donated from an outside company and will be up this spring.