“THE DAY LABOR STANDS WITH CORPORATE GREED OVER MIDDLE CLASS RESIDENTS IS THE DAY THE LABOR COMMUNITY LOSES ITS WAY” [See image on the bottom of the page for more on this]
Tonight is the night. We are hearing stories of labor unions flooding City Hall tonight in favor of the abatement. If you ‘re part of that company, please see the above quote, then skip to the bottom of the page and read the white text on the black image. You will then know why many of us residents are opposing this tax abatement.
Here are the event details:
Nassau County IDA istar Long Beach Meeting
Wednesday, February 24 at 6:30 PM
City Hall Long Beach
1 W Chester St, Long Beach, New York 11561
Here is some opposition for you:
- Our county executive is against the tax break: NEWSDAY: Mangano opposes $109M tax break for Long Beach apartments
- Newsday did an editorial, calling the tax break ‘illogical’ – READ: Long Beach tax break is illogical
- As of this post, 587 people signed a petition AGAINST the tax exemption: DENY istar’s 20 YEAR Tax Exemption application for the SuperBlock in Long Beach, New York.
- That all being said, go to Facebook and do a search for ‘Long Beach’ and ‘istar.’ You are going to find a ton of angry residents voicing their opinions on the topic.
And probably one of the best reads I’ve seen so far comes from the following image, which is being shared all over social networking. It basically sums up exactly how many of us feel:
- Hey Unions, this resident opposition isn’t really about you.
- For most people, it’s not even about the proposed development.
- It’s about the struggle of residents dealing with a post-sandy world, already facing high taxes with their rebuilds/lifts.
I originally read this on Long Beach Matters To You, but I don’t know who the author is, but thank you:
SEE YOU ALL TONIGHT!